Login  |  Register  |  Search

Area's First Finnish Homestead

Area's First Finnish Homestead

A stone monument at Grandview Golf Club just east of Thomson Township marks the site of the area’s first Finnish family homestead. Immigrants Kalle and Eva (Kytomaki) Hendrickson built there in September 1872 and developed the property under the Homestead Act. Their son, Charles Jr., was the first white child born in Midway Township. Another son, Fred, bought the estate after Kalle’s death and built the golf course. His son, Dale Hendrickson, a 1943 Esko graduate, and his wife and classmate, the former Helen Johnson, expanded the course and managed it for many years. The monument was erected in 1950 by the Minnesota Finnish American Historical Society and was visited in 1961 by Finnish President Urho Kekkonen. (2010 photo by Frank Liupakka) 

Uploaded: Wed Nov 30, 2011 @ 01:27AM by Davis Helberg

Code:

powered by Doodlekit™ Free Website Maker