Login  |  Register  |  Search

Short Line, Short Life

Short Line, Short Life

The Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Company in 1901 built a huge saw mill on the St. Louis River near the site of today’s Highway 61 Bridge. Construction began the same year on the company’s Minnesota & North Wisconsin Railroad.  Rail historian Jon Severson of Esko writes that the company’s objective was to supply the mill “with a steady stream of timber from its vast holdings north of Duluth.”  The line, abandoned in 1913, ran from the mill across the river and then northeasterly through Thomson Township to today’s Adolph.  Pictured is a train crew at the mill in 1910.  (Photo courtesy of Jon Severson)

Uploaded: Mon Aug 16, 2010 @ 09:03PM by Davis Helberg

Code:

powered by Doodlekit™ Free Website Maker