Login  |  Register  |  Search

The River Retains Some Reminders

The River Retains Some Reminders

Remnants of a century ago, old wooden pilings puncture the surface of the St. Louis River near Scanlon, marking the onetime site of the Minnesota & North Western Railroad Bridge. The tenacious pilings were set in place when work on the bridge began in 1901. After the railroad went out of business in 1913, the railroad ties were covered with planks to create a public crossing for horses and pedestrians.  To the right, or south, is today’s County Highway 61 Bridge.  Out of the picture and farther to the south is the Interstate 35 Bridge.  (Also see previous photo.)  (Photo courtesy of Jon Severson)

Uploaded: Wed Dec 01, 2010 @ 06:16PM by Davis Helberg

Code:

powered by Doodlekit™ Free Website Maker