Login  |  Register  |  Search

Suited to the Task

Suited to the Task

In the 1930s, some of Esko’s school buses were owned by the school district and some were contracted from private owner-drivers.  When the school district was organized in 1920, the original buses --- all horse-drawn --- were privately owned.  The school board's minutes are not clear, but it appears the district purchased its first motorized bus in about 1927.  The transition to a complete fleet of publicly-owned buses was not accomplished until 1946.  These four drivers --- wearing uniforms they were required to buy at their own expense --- worked for the district in 1939.  From left are Jack Ikola, Charlie Johnson, Hugo Sarkela and Andrew Kinnunen.  (Photo courtesy of Rodney Ikola)

Uploaded: Wed Jul 28, 2010 @ 08:03AM by Davis Helberg

Code:

powered by Doodlekit™ Free Website Maker