Login  |  Register  |  Search

Washington School Teacherage

Washington School Teacherage

Prior to improved cars and road systems, rural school districts customarily provided single teachers with lodging facilities known as “teacherages” or “teachers’ cottages.”  Within a month after approving construction of the Lincoln and Washington Schools in 1919, township voters approved a second bond issue that, among other things, authorized construction of a teacherage at each school.  The Washington School Teacherage, next to the school on North Cloquet Road, served its intended purpose until the 1950s. This photo was taken in 1926.  The building was sold in 1972 and moved to a nearby site for conversion to a private residence. (Photo courtesy of Rodney Ikola)

Uploaded: Wed Aug 04, 2010 @ 06:01PM by Davis Helberg

Code:

powered by Doodlekit™ Free Website Maker