Login  |  Register  |  Search

Temperance Hall Outlives the Movement

Temperance Hall Outlives the Movement

After realizing its apparent goal (Prohibition, 1920) and then outliving it (Repeal, 1933), the North Star Temperance Association sold its weathered meeting hall in 1938.The building was constructed after the association acquired land in 1904 now occupied by Eskomo Pies on the northeast corner of the Canosia Road-Highway 61 intersection.The new property owner in 1938 was the Arrowhead Cooperative Creamery.The creamery used the site for storage for about a decade before selling to the Cloquet Cooperative Society, which built a new store.Note the faint Baby Ruth sign on the front. The Curtiss Candy Company began using the name on candy bars in 1921, claiming it honored President Grover Cleveland’s daughter, who died in 1904. Others saw it as a not-so-subtle rebuke to baseball star Babe Ruth, who had refused to sign an endorsement agreement. (Photo courtesy of Frank Liupakka)

Uploaded: Tue Feb 08, 2011 @ 10:45AM by Davis Helberg

Code:

powered by Doodlekit™ Free Website Maker