Login  |  Register  |  Search

The Maunu Garage Fire

The Maunu Garage Fire

The event that galvanized the community into organizing a fire department was the destruction of Ed Maunu’s gas station and auto repair shop in the winter of 1947-48 (the date is uncertain).  By the time the Cloquet Fire Department arrived, the building and its contents were beyond salvation. In March 1948, the Town Board authorized the “purchase of adequate fire equipment” and the first meeting of the Esko Volunteer Fire Department was in February 1949.  The only known photos of the Maunu fire are three small, grainy snapshots someone gave to Bill Wirtz, proprietor of the Wirtz 66 Service now located on the fire site. (Photo courtesy of Bill Wirtz)    

Uploaded: Thu Jul 15, 2010 @ 05:57AM by Davis Helberg

Code:

powered by Doodlekit™ Free Website Maker