Login  |  Register  |  Search

Esko, West Side—Early ‘40s

Esko, West Side—Early ‘40s

The west side of Esko was captured on film in the early 1940s from atop Lincoln School. The small building in foreground is a Standard Gas station, operated by Joe Davidson. Next to it is Juntti Brothers store, owned by Eino and Ed Juntti on property leased and then purchased from community namesake Alex Esko. Behind the store, with the tall smokestack, is the Arrowhead Co-Op Creamery. Directly across Highway 61 from Davidson’s station is Moses Service Station, owned by Moses Liupakka, and next to it is Hank and Wally Lovestrand’s popular Hank’s Café. Just west of Hank’s is the Co-Op Store. When the highway was widened in 1948-49, Moses and the Co-Op would lose substantial frontage, so both relocated. Moses built a facility west of the creamery and the Co-Op constructed the building now housing Eskomo Pies and the Radosevich law offices. (Esko Historical Society photo, believed to have been taken by Andrew Kinnunen)  

Uploaded: Fri Feb 03, 2012 @ 12:18PM by Eva Lisa Nynas


powered by Doodlekit™ Free Website Maker